Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is a recently-developed technology that uses the patient’s own blood to accelerate healing and minimize pain after an oral surgery. PRF is beneficial in both hard tissue and soft tissue procedures. The slow and gradual release of growth factors improves tissue regeneration. The advantages of PRF help us maximize healing and minimize patient discomfort, which is why Wilmington Oral Surgery now offers advanced-PRF for our patients.
Safety Advantages of PRF in Oral Surgery Recovery
- No foreign body reaction – since the PRF is made from the patient’s own cells, there is no risk of disease transmission or rejection.
- Release of growth factors – a number of growth factors are gradually released from the PRF. Three prominent factors (VEGF, PDGF, and TGF-beta) play critical roles in the healing process.
- White blood cells are involved – leukocytes (white blood cells) are incorporated into the PRF, which also provide growth factors and protect against infection.
PRF and Healing from Mouth Surgery: Clinical Applications
- Regeneration of bone at the time of tooth removal – PRF placed into the extraction site.
- Regeneration of bone in areas of bone deficiency – PRF can be combined with the bone grafting materials, and also used as a membrane over the grafting.
- PRF can be utilized for sinus grafting, to protect the sinus lining and also help stabilize the grafting materials.
- Immediate implant placement – PRF works well to fill in minor gaps between the implant and native bone.
- Soft tissue grafting – PRF promotes soft tissue healing and helps to minimize tissue inflammation.
- Bone regeneration after removal of cysts.
- Closure of sinus communication or fistula.
- A recent case report used PRF to treat medication-associated osteonecrosis (i.e. – Fosamax) – these cases of osteonecrosis have been very difficult to treat with predictable results.
Patient-Focused, Gentle Care Before, During & After Oral Surgery
Our maxillofacial surgery practice prides itself on our skilled oral surgeon and our staff’s ability to provide gentle oral care that makes the patient’s experience a priority. Careful assessment, detailed planning, and an efficient process throughout the oral surgery means less anxiety, pain and healing time for our patients, no matter how invasive the surgical procedure on your mouth is. Proper aftercare for any oral surgery is key once you get home from our office, but we make sure you start off your healing in the best condition. And any questions or concerns you have throughout the process? Give us a call any time.